Green Moong is full of protein and fiber, a super food for vegetarians. I always keep this moong bean in my pantry. It is very easy to make and tasty, too. According to Ayurveda, moong dal cuts fat from your body. If you want to loose fat from your body, consume moong dal as much as possible.
dal after a long day of work...You'll get instant energy. Bon Apetit!!!!!!
Green Moong : 1-2 cups
Onion : 1 (chopped finely)
Garlic : 2 cloves(blanched)
Ginger-garlic paste : 1 tblsp.(tablespoon)
Tomato : 1 (medium-chopped finely)
Green Chillies : 2 (to taste)
Turmeric Powder : 2 tsp.(teaspoon)
Chilli powder : 1-2 tsp.
Coriander Powder : 2 tsp.
Cardamom : 2-3
Cloves : 2-3
Cinnamon : 1 stick (1")
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp.
Garam masala powder : 2 tsp.(powder of cardamom, cinnamon & cloves)
Ghee : 2 tsp.
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Fresh coriander leaves & raw onions for garnishing
- Soak the dal overnight or for 3-4 hours in hot water. Then pressure cook the dal with little salt until done.
- In a cooking vessel, pour oil and make it hot. Then add Cardamoms, cinnamon & cloves. Wait till they crackle, then add cumin seeds and blanched garlic. Fry for a minute and add onions. Stir fry until onions turn soft and transparent.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste and stir until raw smell of ginger and garlic goes. Then add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. When tomatoes turn soft, add all the powdered spices. Mix well until masalas cooks well about 2-3 minutes, then add cooked moong dal.
- Mix well with the masalas and add about 1 cup of hot water. Let it cook for 5 minutes in medium flame. Season with salt. Finally add ghee and garam masala powder. Mix well with the dal and take it off the heat.
- Garnish with onion rings and fresh coriander leaves. This super tasty dal pairs nicely with chapatis, paratha or naan.
Making moong sprouts :
- Soak the green moon dal overnight with lots of water.
- Next day morning, drain all the water, cover the dal with lid and keep them in warm place.
- In 1- 2 days, the sprouts will come out. Keep them in the refrigerator for further use.