There are many varieties of making this dish, but I like this recipe and it comes out very good. This is recipe of a very famous bengali cookbook writer. This recipe is tasted by my freinds and now whenever they come to visit me, they demand for this cabbage fry only. So I would like to share with you all....Enjoy
White Cabbage head : 1 (small)
Potato : 1/2
Green peas : 1/2 cup(fresh or frozen)
Ginger paste : 2 Tblsp. (tablespoon)
Green chillies : 2
Tomato : 1(Big)
Bay Leaf :1
Cardamom : 2-3
Cinnamon stick : 1 (1")
Cloves : 2-3
Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp.(teaspoon)
Turmeric Powder : 2 tsp.
Cumin powder : 2 tsp.
Coriander powder : 2 tsp.
Salt to taste
Sugar : 2 tsp.
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Ghee : 1 tsp.
Garam Masala powder : 1 tsp.(powder of cardamom, cinnamon & cloves)
Fresh coriander leaves foe garnishing
- Wash potato and cabbage head. Cut cabbage head in very thin slices. I think, Cabbage tastes better if cut in thin slices. Keep your knife touched with the cabbage body and just move in up and down direction. Then it will cut in thin slices. Cut the potatoes in small cube like pieces.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil. Fry the potatoes with pinch of salt and turmeric until light brown. Keep aside.
- In the same oil, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves and cumin seeds. When all starts to splutter, add thinly sliced cabbage. Stir and you will see it is leaving some water. Stir fry until all the water evaporates. Then add little salt and ginger paste, sliced tomatoes, slitted green chillies. Mix everything finely until tomatoes get soft and raw smell of ginger goes away. Add fried potatoes.
- Then add all powdered spices and sugar and mix finely. Keep stirring and mix the spices evenly with the cabbage and potatoes. Season with salt. At this moment, you will see, cabbage are almost cooked. So pour 1/2 cup or enough water to cook the potatoes.
- Add green peas and close the lid and let it cook in medium flame. Check the potatoes and cabbage. It's a dry preperation, so water should be there. When water dries up and vegetables are cooked, add ghee and garam masala powder and stir for 2-3 minutes and take it out of heat.
- Serve hot, garnishing with fresh coriander leaves. It goes well with any Indian bread or plain rice.