The vegetable looks like tiny cucumbers, skin is little harder than cucumber, with tapering ends and it has faint, lighter green lines along it's length.
From the Ayurvedic point of view, parwal is a tridoshic vegetable, which is excellent for balancing all five fundamental elements. It is extremely easy to digest and it assimilates easily into your physiology.
Parwal or Potol is one of my favorite vegetable and today, I'll share with you bengali way of making Potato-Parwal Curry or Aloo potoler Tarkari..It is a very simple recipe, without much spices and goes well with rice and chapati
Parwal/Potol : 10-12 nos.
Potato : 2-3 (medium)
Ginger paste : 1 tbsp.
Green chilli : 1 or 2(grated)
Tomato : 1 (medium)
Turmeric powder : 2 tsp.
Cumin powder : 2 tsp.
Coriander powder : 2 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp.(optional)
Cumin seeds : 2 tsp.
Bay leaf : 1
Cardamom : 2-3
Cloves : 2-3
Cinnmaon : 1(1") stick
Oil : 3 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Garam Masala Powder : 1 tsp. (dry grind 1-2 of each cinnamon, cardamom & cloves in coffee mill)
Fresh Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash each parwal. First, trim the edges and then peel the skin every 1/2" inch apart(as shown in the picture). Then cut in round shape or lengthwise. Cut the potatoes in medium size pieces in shape same as parwals.
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a pan, fry parwal and potatoes one after another sprinkling little salt until light brown. Keep aside.
- In the same oil, temper with bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon & cloves. As soon as they change their colour, add cumin seeds, stir for a minute, then add ginger-green chilli paste. Stir for a minute, when you smell the ginger flavour, add tomatoes.
- Stir and mix well with ginger paste. When tomatoes turn soft, add powder spices mixed with 3 tbsp. water. Mix well and wait until oil seperates. Add fried vegetables and salt. Coat them well with the spices.
- Add enough water (about 1 and 1/2 cup) to cook the veges. Parwal cooks fast. It cooks even faster than potatoes. Cover the lid and let it cook in medium flame. Remove from heat when veges are cooked and the gravy is slightly thick.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder, mix well with curry. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.