She asked me to make Caramel custard on her D day, She loves all types of custard...I make custard in pressure cooker, I'll share the recipe today, how to make Caramel Custard in P. cooker
Sugar : 3/4 cup
Milk : 2 cups
Eggs : 3
Vanilla extract : 1 tsp.
Orange rind : 1 tsp.
Water : about 2 cups (the measurement of water is very important when making in cooker)
- Lightly grease a heat-proof mould or ramekins with butter.
- To make caramel : In a small pan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. Place pan on low heat and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. After all the sugar is dissolved, increase heat to medium and continue stirring, until syrup thickens a bit and turns a deep golden colour. Remove pan from heat. Now add orange rind and mix thoroughly. Pour caramel sauce into a heat-proof mold, which you can put inside cooker. Tip and turn the mould to coat evenly bottom and sides. Let it set for sometime.
- To make custard : Boil the milk and allow to cool slightly. In a bowl, beat eggs lightly to mix yolks and whites. Add remaining sugar and vanilla essence. Stir to mix. Gradually add milk stirring continuously.
- Take out the caramel coated mould and pour milk mixture slowly over the back of a spoon ( it will help distribute the custard more evenly and minimise mixing with the caramel sauce). Cover mould tightly with aluminium foil from all sides.
- Pour remaining water into the cooker, put the grid in cooker and place mould on the grid. Close cooker and steam for about 20-30 minutes. Don't use the whistle. Time depends on your quantity. To check if it's done, open the foil and look if it has set or not. If not, steam some more.
- Open cooker, take out and allow to cool on room temperature. Cover and regrigerate for 1 hour before serving(custard will continue to set as it cools).
- Carefully run a knife around the inside edge of mould. Place serving plate upside down on the top of the mold, invert and shake to loosen and lift off mould.
Sending this classic all-time favorite dessert of mine and my family to MY favorite things event : frozen dessert @ Served with Love ,
original brainchild of Bindiya @ In love with Food