Whole Chicken : 500 gms (cut into pieces)
Dry mango powder(Amchur) : 2 tsp.
Lemon juice : 1 tblsp.(tablespoon)
Onions : 2 (medium, sliced)
Ginger-garlic paste : 2 tblsp.
Tomato paste or puree : 1/2 cup
Yoghurt : 2 tblsp.
Onion seeds(kalonji/kala jeera) : 2 tsp.
Cumin seeds : 2 tsp.
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp.
Fennel Seeds(Saunf/mouri) : 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 2 tblsp. or to as per your taste
Coriander powder : 2 tblsp.
Vinegar : 1 tsp.
salt to taste
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- Cut the chicken in medium size pieces. Wash and drain water well. Apply amchur powder, lemon juice and salt to the chicken pieces and set aside for at least 1/2 an hour or more. You can use chicken drumsticks, too.
- Slightly roast cumin, onion seed, mustard and fennel seed in dry pan and gring into a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, add sliced onion, saute until golden brown in color, then add ginger-garlic paste, stir for a minute or two, then add tomato paste. Mix well with the paste, then add turmeric, chilli, coriander powder. Cook masala until oil starts seperating.
- Then add marinated chicken, saute for 3-4 minutes, mix well with the spice paste. Then add rest of the ingredients, i.e. yoghurt, vinegar, roasted spice powder, chopped coriander leaves. Mix well with the chicken, add little water about 1/2 cup , adjust the salt. Let it cook in medium flame until chicken is cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with any Indian bread like naan, chapati, paratha or plain rice even goes well with pulao. And a simple salad to go with it.