Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chatpata Chicken

My last recipe of Chicken was Jhatpat Chicken(easy breezy chicken curry), and today's chicken recipe is Chatpata Chicken. Last weekend I was in mood for something chatpata means something lip-smackingly tangy for our dinner as it was raining outside heavily. So while I was browsing through my favorite cooking site, India's Master Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's Site, I found this chicken recipe, which I thought can satisfy my cravings. So I followed the recipe exactly as it was and I was absolutely right...........It is very unique chicken recipe..has tangy flavour of mango powder(Amchur powder) and lemon and the spices are also something different which I havn't tried before...........Thanks a lot, Mr. Kapoor, for such nice recipe...loved a lot..I'm posting this recipe for everyone to try out................


Ingredients :

Whole Chicken : 500 gms (cut into pieces)
Dry mango powder(Amchur) : 2 tsp.
Lemon juice : 1 tblsp.(tablespoon)
Onions : 2 (medium, sliced)
Ginger-garlic paste : 2 tblsp.
Tomato paste or puree : 1/2 cup
Yoghurt : 2 tblsp.
Onion seeds(kalonji/kala jeera) : 2 tsp.
Cumin seeds : 2 tsp.
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp.
Fennel Seeds(Saunf/mouri) : 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 2 tblsp. or to as per your taste
Coriander powder : 2 tblsp.
Vinegar : 1 tsp.
salt to taste
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Fresh coriander leaves (chopped)

Method :
  • Cut the chicken in medium size pieces. Wash and drain water well. Apply amchur powder, lemon juice and salt to the chicken pieces and set aside for at least 1/2 an hour or more. You can use chicken drumsticks, too.
  • Slightly roast cumin, onion seed, mustard and fennel seed in dry pan and gring into a fine powder.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add sliced onion, saute until golden brown in color, then add ginger-garlic paste, stir for a minute or two, then add tomato paste. Mix well with the paste, then add turmeric, chilli, coriander powder. Cook masala until oil starts seperating.
  • Then add marinated chicken, saute for 3-4 minutes, mix well with the spice paste. Then add rest of the ingredients, i.e. yoghurt, vinegar, roasted spice powder, chopped coriander leaves. Mix well with the chicken, add little water about 1/2 cup , adjust the salt. Let it cook in medium flame until chicken is cooked.
  • Remove from heat and serve hot with any Indian bread like naan, chapati, paratha or plain rice even goes well with pulao. And a simple salad to go with it.

7 comments:

Purnima said...

Indrani, what a lovely looking curry there! Shall give it a try soon! :D Tks for sharing!

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious chatpata chicken Indrani..looks too tempting:)

Soma said...

Khide peye gelo... :D next time i'll try chicken with saunf.. never did before. really curious to the flavor.

mona said...

Sounds so delicious with amchoor and all those spices. Will definitely try this, thanks for sharing!

FH said...

That's one yummy recipe for chicken, looks so juicy and delicious! :)

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

looks lovely dear !!
will add you blogroll to my list .
pls visit my blog if u get chance

divya said...

I liked your blog very much. I appreciate for your wonderful presentation with mouth watering pictures.
Now I have become your follower so I will be visiting your blog hereafter.pls visit my blog if u get chance.


Appyayan's Fan Box

Appyayan on Facebook

My Followers

 

APPYAYAN | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates