For filling --
Yellow Moong dal : 2/3 cup
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Onion : 1(small-chopped finely)
Ginger paste : 1 tblsp.
Green chilli: 1-2(chopped)
Turmeric powder : 1 stp.
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp.(optional)
Dry mango/Amchur powder : 2 tsp.
Fresh coriander leaves(chopped)
Salt to taste
For dough --
Whole wheat flour : 1 cup
White flour/APF/maida : 1 cup
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Salt : a pinch
Oil for frying the parathas(I use brush to lessen the quantity of oil to be used for frying)
- Soak moong dal in warm water for 1/2 an hour and then pressure cook it. Take it out and mash with back of a wide spoon.
- For the filling : Heat a pan with 2 tblsp. of oil, add cumin seeds. when it starts spluttering, add chopped onions, fry till golden brown. Then add chopped green chillis and ginger paste. Now add the mashed dal, stir to mix it well, then add all powdered spices, season with salt. Stir until all moisture evaporated. Lastly add chopped fresh coriander leaves. let it cool for few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a soft dough with all the ingredients. Make small balls out of the dough.
- To make paratha : Take a dough ball and roll out with a rolling pin to a 3-4" diameter. Then fill about 1 big spoonfull of dal filling in the center of the rolled out dough, then bring together all the sides in the center and seal tightly. Try to form a ball again.
- Then with a rolling pan, roll out carefully into a circle of 6-7" diameter.
- Frying parathas : Heat a griddle/tawa, pour 1 tsp. of oil. Then place the rolled out paratha, cook one side and brush little oil on the top side. Flip and cook until lightly brown on medium heat.
- Make other dough ball into parathas same way as before. Tips: To soak the excess oil from the fried paratha, I always put my next paratha on the fried one.
I'm also going to Send this to Susan's MLLA : 13 , which is guest hosted this month by lovely Harini/Sunshinemom of Tongue ticklers.....