If you're wondering, what's shiuli flower, check this out, shiuli phul is also known as Parijat flower
(image source : http://flickr.com/photos/abhijitc17/2209784394)
(image source : http://bdshots.com)
"Ya Devi Sarvabhuteshu Saktirupeno Sangsthita,
Namastasyayee, Namastasyayee, Namastasyayee Nama Namaha!!"
ABOUT MAA DURGADurga, in Sanskrit means "She who is incomprehensible or difficult to reach." Goddess Durga is a form of Sakti worshiped for her gracious as well as terrifying aspect. Mother of the Universe, she represents the infinite power of the universe and is a symbol of a female dynamism. The manifestation of Goddess Durga is said to emerge from Her formless essence and the two are inseparable.
Info source : www.durga-puja.org
Today, I'll share one such chicken recipe My mom used to make during this festive time or on some special occassions.........
Chicken Shahi Korma
(Korma, is a term of cooking, where meat is cooked in yoghurt based sauce in ghee, instead of oil, shahi means Royal, as some royal food items like almonds, safforn, kewra water are some key ingredients of this recipe-very simple but yummy )
Ingredients :Chichen : 1(whole)
Onion : 4-5(medium)
Ginger-garlic paste : 3 tblsp.(2" piece of ginger and 6-7 cloves of garlic)
Curd or yoghurt : 1 cup
Turmeric powder ; 2 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 2-3 tsp.(as per taste)
Garam masala powder : 2 tsp.
Kewra water : 1-2 tsp. ( can be found in Indian grocery stores)
Saffron Strands : 1 tblsp.
Whole black peppercorn : 10-12(grind into powder)
Almonds : 12-15 pcs.
Bay leaves : 2-3 pcs.
Salt to taste
Sugar : 1 tsp.
Ghee(clarified butter) : 4 tblsp.(I combined2 tblsp. oil and 2 tblsp. ghee)
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Cut the chicken into pieces and apply salt and 2 tsp. black pepper powder, keep aside for 1/2 an hour. Chop the onions and beat the yoghurt with 2 tblsp. of water and keep aside.
- Soak almonds in water and take out the skin and grind into powder. Soak saffron strands in kewra water. If you don't get kewra water, soak in 1 tblsp. milk. After 10 minutes, make paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add the bay leaves and 1 tsp. of sugar, add onions before bay leaves turn dark brown. Saute till onions get soft and transculent. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for few more minutes. Add turmeric, red chilli powder and rest of the black pepper powder.
- When oil seperates the masala, add the chicken pieces, mix well with the masala paste and saute for 10-12 minutes. Add 2 cups of hot water and let it cook covered with lid.
- When chicken is 2/3 done, add beaten curd, almond paste, sugar, garam masala and mix well. Season with salt. Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- There should be no water left, it's a dry gravy based dish. Lastly add saffron paste. Mix well with the chicken, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Serving Suggestion :Serve with Pulao(Bengali sweet Pulao) or any Indian bread like puri, paratha etc.
Check out my last year posts on Durga puja :
1. Dura puja is on our doorstep - know all the rituals of bengali durga puja
2. Pujor Diner Khabar(festive food of Durga puja) - Part 1 and Part 2
Sending this entry with above mentioned older entries to be featured on Durga puja Food Festival, organized by Sudeshna of Cook like a Bong