Kalai-er dal is a dal made of split (skin removed) white Urad dal. The special about this dal is the use of fennel seed unlike other dal has the usual cumin seed or panch phoron(mixture of five different seeds) as tempering. this dal has two versions, both are awesomely tasty. One is with roasted dal and another without roasting. As urad dal is little slimy or slippery in texture, if you roast the dal before making it, the slimy texture will go away. I love both versions and will give you both recipes, inredients are almost same in both versions, but the process varies a bit...you know what accompanies with this dal...yes, the famous Aloo posto (Potato in poppy seed paste). if you want a leisurely comfort food in a relax weekend lunch, have this combo and you'll love it, I guarantee you................
Now to the recipes....first Aloo posto...it is a dish made with potato and a paste of poppy seed. You can make this dish in many different ways, this time I made this with onion..so it is Pyaj-Aloor posto (Potato N Onion in poppy seed paste)
Ingredients :Potato : 2(medium)
Onion : 1 (medium)
Poppy seed : 2 tblsp.(heaped)
Black cumin seed(kalonji/kala jeera) : 1 tsp.
Tomato : 1/2 (chopped)
Green chilli : 2 (more or less accr. to your taste or omit)
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp.(optional)
Salt to taste
- Cut potatoes in small cube like pieces. Grind the poppy seed coarsely with green chillies in a coffee grinder. Do not make it too fine.
- Heat oil in a pan, temper with black cumin seed, when the aroma rises, add onions. Fry for a minute and then add potatoes. Add salt and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric powder and give it a good stir.
- Add chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder mix it well and then add poppy seed paste. Cook on medium heat for few minutes, so that the paste can coat nicely with potatoes. Add enough water to cook the potatoes. Add little salt over it.
- Cover the lid and wait till all water dries up and potatoes are cooked. After the water dries up, check the seasoning, add if needed and stir fry the whole thing vigorously for 2-3 minutes to make it more dry and fried.
- Take out from heat and serve hot with any dal and white rice.....................
Now to the dal, first unroasted one, i.e Kacha kalai er dal
Ingredients :Split white Urad dal : 1 cup
Dry red chilli : (Break into 2)
Fenugreek seed(methi dana) : 1 tsp.
Fennel seed(mouri) : 2 tblsp.(dry grind into powder)
Ginger : 1"(grated)
Green chilli : 2-3
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Turmeric powder : 2 tsp.
Salt to taste
- Soak urad dal in water for about 1/2 an hour as it takes comparatively more time to cook. Soaking before cooking it, will need less time to cook. Pressure cook the dal until it is soft and done. When done, open the cooker. If water dries up, add 1 cup of water. With a wire masher, mash the dal. Add little salt and turmeric powder and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, when it is really hot and smoky, lower the flame, add dry red chillies, green chillies and fenugreek seeds. When seeds slightly change colour(turn brown, not dark brown---do not burn fenugreek seeds, the whole dal will taste bitter), pour the cooked dal over it.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Finally, when you have your desired consistency(it is not a thick dal, and also not so watery, kind of a smooth consistency) of dal, check the seasoning. Add ginger juice (squeeze the ginger paste and add only the juice) and powdered feneel seed. Cook for 1 minute and take out from heat. Your dal is ready.
Ingredients are same as above, only no fenugreek seed. I dont have the picture of this version, next time I make it, I'll add it for sure.
- Dry roast the dal and then wash and soak the dal as above. Then pressure cook it until done.
- Add 1 cup of water, with a wire whisk, mash the dal and give it a smooth texture. Add little salt and turmeric and cook for 2-3 minutes. Keep it aside.
- Wet grind fennel seed and ginger to a fine paste(ada-mouri bata).
- Heat oil in a pan, when its hot and smoky, add dry red chilli, green chilli and the paste of ginger and fennel seed (ada-mouri bata). Fry the paste for a while in medium flame, when you get the sweet smell of the paste, add the dal. Check the seasoning and cook for 2-3 minutes. Your dal is ready.
- Enjoy with Aloo posto and hot white rice............
TRY AND LET EM KNOW IF YOU LIKED IT OR NOT............