One of them is Panchmisali Tarkari...if you got the meaning of tarkari, I will tell you what panchmisali means...'panch' means five, 'misali' means mix here, that means it's a mix vegetable curry dish. But the number of vege doesn't have to be five, it can be 4 or 6. Just 5 or 6 or more types of vegetables cooked together with a tempering(phoron) and with touch of turmeric powder. It's extremely healthy dish. There is no fixed vegetable for this, you can use any vegetable available in your home. It's just a simple comfort food and you are getting all the vitamins and minerals needed from one dish.
Now to the recipe....
Ingredients :Vegetables I used : Green beans, broad beans/shim, sweet potato/potato, cabbage, cauliflower, brinjal, pumpkin, Okra/bhindi and carrot(optional). (arbi/taro roots, ridge gourd/Jhinge can be used, do not use beets in this dish, brinjal is a must here)
Dry red chilli : 1 (break into 2)
Panch phoron : 1 tsp.(mixture of fennel, white cumin, black cumin, mustard and fenugreek seed--mix each in equal quantity and use 1 tsp. from the mix)
Turmeric Powder : 2 tsp.
Chilli powder : 1 tsp.
Green chilli : 1 or 2(chopped)
Tomato : 1(medium-chopped)
Salt to taste
Sugar : 1 tsp.
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing(optional, but recommended)
- Wash and cut all the vegetables more or less in same sizes. Because, as all are going to the same pot and cooked together, harder vegetables should cut in smaller sizes and softer veges should cut in bigger sizes, so all can be cooked at the same time. if using, ridge gourd, add it at the end when all other veges are already tender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add dry red chilli and panch phoron, when seeds start to turn dark (do not burn the seeds, it will make the curry bitter) , throw all the veges to the pan. Add little salt and stir fry for 2 minutes. Then add chopped green chillies, tomatoes, turmeric and chilli powder. Give it a good stir for few minutes and mix well with the veges. Add sugar and mix again.
- Pour over about 1 cup of water and cover the lid and let it cook in medium heat.
- Check time to time, it will take more or less 7-8 minutes. When water dries up and vegetables are tender, check the seasoning(salt). Add if needed. Give it a good stir and mix well.
- Sprinkle fresh coriander leaves if available. Serve hot with rice as the first course of meal.
Dear Foodie friends, please send your entries ASAP for Sunday Snacks: Festive snacks of Navratri and Diwali event..deadline is 29th of this month
"Think Spice : Think Turmeric"
Event, which is brainchild of Sunita of Sunita's World