Tomatoes get their luscious red color from lycopene. Lycopene is a carotenoid, which is a natural food pigment that occurs in vegetables and fruits. Lycopene is not produced in the human body, hence it is essential to get it from dietary sources. Tomatoes have numerous health benfits other than having lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidants, that helps fighting cancers. Tomato is a good blood purifier, so consumption of tomato everyday helps in improving skin texture and color. tomato is a natural antiseptic, so it can help protect against various infections. Nicotinic acid present in tomatoes help to reduce blood cholesterol, thus helps prevent heart diseases. Tomatoes help dissolving gallstones. And tomatoes contain large amount of Vitamin C, provides 40 % of daily requirements.
Another interesting point is that lycopene is absorbed more efficiently by the body when the tomato is cooked or processed, and not when it is consumed raw. So, the best way to get benefits of Lycopene from Tomatoes, is to make a warm, hot Tomato soup that will not only delight your taste buds, but also give you the health benefits you need.
This time, I tried to make tomato soup in Microwave, it was quite easier than I expected, in less than 30 minutes you'll get a healthy and nutritious tomato soup to indulge...try it out
Ingredients :Ripe tomatoes : 4 (medium)
Carrot : 1
Onion : 1(medium)
Garlic pods : 2(crushed)
Flour/wheat flour/corn flour : 1 tblsp.
Milk : 1/4 cup
Sugar : 1 tsp.
Salt and black pepper to taste
Butter : 1 tblsp.
- Cut tomatoes in quarters or in halves. Cut carrots in small chunks. Slice onions lengthwise.
- Place tomatoes, carrots, garlic and onions in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in high for about 5-6 minutes until veges get soft. Take out in between and stir to avoid foods to burn.
- Cool and puree mixture in a blender, adding a little water about 1 cup. Strain the mixture to remove tomato skin and seeds. Set aside.
- Now, in another big bowl, melt butter in microwave. Take out, and add flour, stir briskly. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Then add milk slowly stirring continuously to avoid forming of lumps. Microwave for 2-3 minutes on HIGH or until thick. Stir in between.
- Take out, add the pureed tomato mixture. Mix well with the white sauce. Add sugar and season with salt and pepper. Then microwave it for 2 minutes.
- Stand it for 2-3 minutes and remove from oven. Garnish with little butter and crushed black pepper.
- Serve hot with grilled sandwiches or with croutons.
And to another event Healthy Inspirations event - Soups , hosted by Usha of Veg Inspirations