Nutritional value and importance of Soybean are not unknown to anyone nowadays. Soybeans are considered by some to be a source of complete protein. For this reason, soy is a good source of protein for vegetarians. According to Wikipedia, The gold standard for measuring protein quality, since 1990, is the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS) and by this criterion soy protein is near to being the nutritional equivalent of meat and eggs for human growth and health. Hence, I try to keep this super-value food in my weekly menu at least once. This is one of my favorite recipes of soybean, want to share with you all.............enjoy and don´t forget to add your remarks about this recipe................This soya dish I cooked for JFI : SOYA hosted this month by SIA of Monsoon Spice which is brainchild of Indira of Mahanandi.
To make this delicious dish, you need.........
1 cup Soya nuggets
3/4 cup green peas
1 tsp. cumin seeds (jeera)
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp. ginger-green chilli paste
1/2 tsp. garlic paste
2 medium onions, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. chilli powder
1/2 tan coriander powder
2 tsp. Bengal gram flour (besan)
1/2 cup Yoghurt (dahi)
3-4 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. oil
Salt to taste
Method to cook:
- Soak the soya nuggets in hot salted water for 1/2 an hour and pressure cook it for 5 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds . When it crackles, add asofoetida, ginger-green chilli paste, garlic paste, onions and saute it until onions are soft and transparent.
- Then add tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and cook on a slow flame for about 5 minutes or until oil comes out.
- Then add the curds, gram flour, milk to the above gravy and mix it finely. After few minutes add soya nuggets, green peas, season with salt and sugar, mix them all and finally add 3/4 cup of water.
- Let it cook for another 4-5 minutes in medium flame. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with roti, paratha, puri or rice....but serve hot.