Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Garlic Flavoured Masoor Dal

Masoor dal is simply a comfort food. For bengalis, specially. After a long vacation, when you're tired eating outside food and you crave for something home-made, this dal with hot rice with mashed potato, ummmmmmm. Today I would like to share a recipe which is my mom's invention. She used to make this dal specially with roti-sabji. This is an one of a kind recipe which I never heard of anyone making or never ate anywhere. This is my favorite dal recipe and became favorite to my daughter, too. BTW, she is not a dal fan. I always need to struggle a lot to make her eat dal, but this dal is her favorite. Thank you, mom, you & your recipe rocks................

Ingredients :
Red masoor dal : 1 cup
Dry red chilli : 1(break into 2)
Onion : 1 (medium)
Garlic : 4 cloves (big, if small use 6-7)
Tomato : 1 (small)
Green chilli : 2 (chopped)
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder : 2 tsp.
Salt to taste
Oil : 2 tbsp.
Coriander leaves for garnishing

Method :
  • Boil the dal in pressure cooker upto 2 whistle. Masoor dal cooks very fast. Open the cooker when it cools and put the cooker on heat, add 1 cup water and mash dal with a spoon and add salt and turmeric powder. Cook for 2 minutes and set aside.
  • Slice onion lengthwise, grated garlic cloves and chop the tomatoes in small pieces.
  • Now for tempering, heat oil in a pan, when oil is really hot, add dry red chilli and cumin seeds. When they change color, add onions and tomatoes. Fry until onions get brown, then add grated garlic. Stir for a minute or two, when you can get the flavor of garlic, add mashed dal to it.
  • Check the seasoning and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Take pan out of heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Enjoy this mouth-watering dal with chapati, paratha and with hot plain rice ..............

11 comments:

Chitra said...

Have come across masoor dal in some books..But never tried ..will try urs..nice recipe..thanks for sharing:)Do visit my blog at ur free time and leave a note..

Sharmila said...

Adding grated garlic sounds really flavourful. Am going to try this Indrani ... definitely. :-)

Anonymous said...

I generally make the whole masoor dal(black) but after i saw one recipe at srivalli's place and other here,i am surely tempted to stock this dal in my pantry too.....
Unique recipe,Thnks for sharing :-)

Adlak's tiny world said...

comfort with hot rice... adding garlic makes me hungry now Indra.

long time over we wer been in touch.. do visit mine dear.

Priya Suresh said...

Real comfort food, lovely dish indeed!!

Anonymous said...

I will make this. I use garlic in dal for my hubby!

Lakshmi said...

Looks good dear. I call this as comfort food :)

notyet100 said...

lovely click,.

lubnakarim06 said...

Adding tadka to masoor dal is new to me. Looks vibrant and yum.

Usha said...

Looks wholesome and inviting !

Indrani said...

Thank u all, friends...you all should try this mouthg-watering dal..I am sure u'll like this


Appyayan's Fan Box

Appyayan on Facebook

My Followers

 

APPYAYAN | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates