This masala dal recipe, I tried from this cooking site(Daawat) and I just fell in love with this dal.
Ingredients for Masala Dal :
Toor dal (split gram) : 1 cup
Onions : 2 (medium)
Garlic : 3-4 cloves
Ginger : 1 "
Tomato : 2 (medium)
Green chilli : 1 ( chopped)
Turmeric Powder : 2 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 2 tsp.
Coriander powder : 2 tsp.
Cumin powder : 1 tsp.
Butter or Oil : 2 tblsp.(tablespoon)
Cardamoms & cloves : 3 of each
Cinnamon : 1 (1")
Salt to taste
A bunch of coriander leaves
- Soak the dal in hot water for about 30-45 minutes. Boil it in the pressure cooker for only two whistles. It should be just boiled and not too soft. In the blender, grind together 1 onion, garlic, ginger, green chilli, coriander leaves and tomatoes. Set aside.
- Heat oil or butter in a pan, add cinnamon, cardamom & cloves, wait till they turn brown, then add the other onion sliced in it. Fry till brown, add grounded masala, adding all the powdered spices in it and salt. Stir fry well adding little water. The trick to get this dal very tasty, fry the masala well in low flame for about 5-7 minutes.
- When all the water evaporates and oil seperates from the masala, pour boiled dal in it and 1/2 cup hot water to make gravy. Add salt to taste. Boil for a while to get your required consistency. Masala dal is ready..........
Serve hot with roti, paratha, or plain rice and papad. I prefer this delicious dal with some spicy vegetable dish. I will share that, too. This is my mom's one of the unique recipes which I learnt from her and still couldn't forget the yummy taste of it.
Broccoli N Potato in black pepper sauce
My mom used to make this with potato only, but I like to add some green vegetable with it. I am a green vege fan :-)
Baby potatoes or plain potato : 7-10 pieces
Broccoli : few florets (big pieces0
Black pepper powder : 4-5 tblsp.(tablespoon)
Ginger paste : 2 tblsp.
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp.(teaspoon)
Salt to taste
Oil : 3 tblsp.
- If you're using baby potatoes, then use as whole, otherwise cut in medium size pieces. Boil them until tender not too soft. Cut the broccoli florets in big chunks and cook in microwave until nearly done. It takes about 5-7 minutes in High.
- Heat Oil in a pan, add ginger paste and turmeric powder. Stir fry for a minute and then add black pepper powder mixed with 1/4 cup hot water. Cook for 4-5 minutes until oil seperates. Then add potatoes and broccoli florets. Mix well with the masala paste, add salt to taste.
- Cook in low flame uncovered for 2-3 minutes. You are done.
I am sure these easy to follow recipes are just perfect for this
nice event "Recieps for rest of us : Dinner" at
Siri's Corner, which is initiated by Ramki
Of One page Cookbook. So sending them to you, Siri...........
And only Broccoli n Potato in black pepper sauce goes to "Think spice : Think Pepper" event hosted
this month by Divya Vikram of Dil Se. This nice event was originally started by Sunita of Sunita's World.