Prawn or big shrimp : 15-20 pcs.
Basmati rice : 11/2 cup
Sweet potato : 1 cup (cubed and boiled)
Onions(sliced, long) : 1 (big)
Ginger-garlic paste : 2 tblsp.
Garlic(minced) : 2 cloves
Tomato : 1 (medium)
Green or red chilli(sliced lengthwise) : 2
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp.
Cumin powder : 1 tsp.
Coriander powder : 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp.
Sugar : 1 tsp.
Black pepper powder : 2 stp.
Coconut milk : 1/3 cup
Bay leaves : 2
Cardamom : 4
Cloves : 4
Cinnamon : 1 stick (1")
Salt to taste
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Cashewnuts and raisins : 1/2 cup
- Marinate shrimp or prawn withlittle turmeric and salt. Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes. Wash the rice. In a big pan, bowl water to cook the rice. When it start boiling, add coconut milk, 1 bay leaf, 2 cardamoms, 2 cloves, 1 tsp. of salt and the rice. Cook until rice is 3/4 done. Drain and keep the rice aside.
- In a frying pan, fry shrimp or prawn light brown(about 2-3 minutes on each sides) on both sides. keep them aside. Boil sweet potatoes until tender.
- In another pan, heat oil. Add rest of cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. When they start to change colour and leaves aroma, add minced garlic. Stir for 1/2 a minute, add sliced onions, green chillies and sugar. Now add cashewnuts and raisins. Fry with onions.
- Fry until onions turn brown, add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes. Stir until tomatoes turn pulpy, add all the powdered spices and little salt. Stir fry till oil seperates spices. Now add fried prawns and sweet potatoes. Coat spices well with prawn and potatoes.
- Now add rice and mix well with the spice paste stirring continuously for 4-5 minutes in medium heat. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Prawn pulao is ready to serve....off course enjoy it hot.........serve with plain raita and tomato-cucumber salad