Friday, February 13, 2009

Vegetable Masala Idli for All Ages

My 10 years old daughter is an absolute Idli-fan. At least 3-4 times a week she'll ask me to make idlis. So this time I thought, why not make it a little healthier? So I tried to add some vegetables and it absolutely came out very tasty and yummy. She loved it and she said, "mom, from now on you have to make idli this way only". So my experiment was a great success.


Ingredients :

Idli Batter
Carrot : 1/2 cup
Capsicum : 1/2 cup (all colours)
Green beans : 1/4 cup
Onion : 1(small)
Ginger : 1/2 inch
Green chillies : 1 or 2
Coriander leaves : 1/2 cup(chopped)
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp.
Curry Leaves : 5-6 nos.
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp.
Salt to taste

Method :
  • Cut all vegetables in very small pieces. Blanch ginger and green chillies. If your child can't tolerate green chillies, avoid it.
  • In a pan, heat oil. Temper with curry leaves,mustard seeds and urad dal, when seeds start to crackle, pour it in the idli batter. In the same pan, add ginger and green chillies and all the vegetables, fry for 2-3 minutes with a pinch of salt and add them too in the batter.
  • Lastly add coriander leaves and onions and mix the batter with a spoon vigorously for a minute or two.
  • Your idli batter is ready. Mow grease your idli stand, pour the batter on each mould and steam in the idli cooker.
  • Serve them with hot sambar.
I am sending this post to Alka of Sindhi Rasoi who is hosting an fun event "Just for You" and this cute little masala idlis are just for my cute little princess.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

loved the addition of veges..my son loves idli..veges would be a healthier option..

Sharmila said...

My post on veggie idlis is ready ... looks like am late. You beat me to posting it Indrani. :-) But I do not temper them ... just add them raw and let them steam with the idlis. Will try your version the next time. :-)

Indrani said...

For sure, Sowmya....try next time

Indrani said...

I am so sorry, sharmila....I love the flavor after tempering curry leaves & mustard, so added it in idli batter...try next time..u'll love it

TNL said...

they look great....I'd love to make them for my two boys....any excuse to get some veggies in their diet!

thanks for the recipe.

trupti
the spice who loved me

Anonymous said...

Who doesn't love these fluffy whites?so does my son,and i am surely gonna add some bits of veggies next time i am making idlies.
Thnks for the entry,and see u @roundup

Anonymous said...

awesome idea to add veggies to idlis. My kids love idlis too.

Pavithra Kodical said...

Addition of veggies make this delicious..Will surely try this..Thanks for the recipe..

Vani said...

What a lovely idea to add veggies! Looks delicious!

Priya Suresh said...

Lovely idea of adding veggies, prefect for everyone as u told:)

Medhaa said...

They look perfect we too like them a lot

notyet100 said...

lovely click,.:-)

Lakshmi said...

I usually add onions and coriander to idli batter, adding veggies is interesting dear :)

Usha said...

Love the idea of adding veggies to idli, makes it all the more healthier...will surely try this:-)

Bong Mom said...

Lovely idlis.

Thanks for the awards :) I don't think I knew about them

Uma said...

mmm. the idlis look so tempting. Yummy!

Indrani said...

Thanks, TS, alka, Soma, pavithra,vani, priya, Medha, priyanka, Uma, usha, LG and sandeepa...nice to see that u all liked the recipe


Appyayan's Fan Box

Appyayan on Facebook

My Followers

 

APPYAYAN | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates