In this post, I'll share the recipe how to make curry with fish roe, which we call MACHER DIMER KALIA(Kalia is a term of bengali cooking, where the sauce is based on onion-ginger-garlic paste with lots of onions and little more oil is used than regular fish curry, basically it's a rich preperation)
I used Hilsa fish roe, vada recipe here
Fried Fish roe(macher dim) vada
Onion : 3(medium)
Ginger-garlic paste : 1" ginger+2 cloves of garlic
Tomato : 1(medium)
Green chilli : 2 (Slitted)
Turmeric powder : 2 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 2-3 tsp.
Coriander powder : 1 tsp.
For tempering :Bay leaf : 1 + Cinnamon stick : 1(1") + 2 cardamoms + 3 cloves
Salt to taste
Oil : 2 tblsp.
Ghee(clarified butter) : 2 tsp. (optional)
Garam Masala powder : Grind together 2 cardamoms, 4 cloves and 1(1") cinnamon stick
- Keep aside the fried fish roe vadas.
- Slice the onions lengthwise. Make a paste of ginger and garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan, temper with the ingredients, when they start to crackle, add sliced onions. In medium flame, fry the onions till dark brown with a pinch of sugar. It should be soft but not crispy, so lower the flame. It will take about 5 minutes or so. This way, the curry will take a darker shade.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, stir for a minute, then add chopped tomatoes and chopped green chillies. Fry till tomatoes get pulpy and soft. Then add powdered spices with 2 tblsp. water. Stir till oil seperates. Add fried fish roes, mix well with spices.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and in medium flame let it cook for 7-8 minutes. When water evaporates, check the seasoning. It should be a dry gravy. Drop 2 tsp. ghee(clarified butter) and garam masala powder over it. Mix well with the gravy and remove from heat.
This traditional bengali delicacy is for my event Spotlight : Fish